Brogan1

HY 78 Questions

Brogan1

Hello,

I'm re-building a 78 engine and have a few questions. The timing chain cover seal is leaking so the seal needs replacing. The crank nut needs to come off but does anyone know the size of the nut. And which direction does it come off. IE: Clock wise or anti clock wise.

I re-furbished the water pump but on reassembly the slotted nut that fits over the bearing in the main body split the water pump main body fracturing the pump. I suspect that the pump was compromised via a leak and failed at that point.

I now do not have a pump to part exchange for another so if anyone has one laying around I would be very interested in replacing the pump. 

Lastly The carb is flooding. I've stripped it down and cleaned every part but cannot stop it flooding when the engine stops running. I know that there aren't any service kits so what are the thoughts on repairs or replacements?. 

Thanks for any info.

Edited by Brogan1

gasmann

Hi,

the nut is 46mm, with a little luck you get it off with a normal short nut, but better is a long one. It losens counter-clockwise.

Maybe I can help you with a refurbished and little used pump. Where do you come from?

Best regards, gasmann

Brogan1

Hi Gasmann,

Appreciate the knowledge and info with the pump. I'm in the UK but will gladly pay the postage.

The Carburetor is a Zenith 28 IN 2 Version. Any help with that would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Edited by Brogan1

lumiere

I think, the flooding of the carb is normal behaviour!!!

Brogan1

Hi lumiere,

Your right. I have 2 HYs both with the same carbs and both with the same problem!!.

Cheers.